Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wordpress Upgrade Horror: Automatic Upgrade Plugin Won't Work

I finally decided to upgrade my WP 2.1 blog to the newer version of wordpress last week because of the "security vulnerabilities" of the older version. Excessive bandwidth usage in two of my blogs also prompted me to decide to upgrade.

I upgraded my personal blog Rhodilee dot com using the Wordpress Automatic Upgrade Plugin without having any trouble at all. Unfortunately, the plugin won't work in my other blogs including this blog and my niche blog Online Job Workers.

So what do you do when the wordpress automatic upgrade plugin does not also work with your blog? Here are some suggestions:

1. Use another wordpress upgrade plugin. The instant upgrade plugin for wordpress is another plugin that does the same thing as the wordpress automatic upgrade plugin. Nevertheless, wordpress users who installed their blogs via fantastico (such as in my case) will not be able to use it.

2. Upgrade via fantastico. I considered upgrading my site via fantastico hoping the upgrade will be as easy as installing a wordpress blog. Unfortunately, I was neither able to upgrade using fantastico because upgrade to wordpress 2.5 and 2.5.1 is not yet available due to "bug fixing and testing", according to my hosting provider. Nevertheless, here is a good tutorial on How To Upgrade Wordpress 2.3.x+ Via Fantastico.

3. Upgrade your blog using Filezilla. Wordpress actually recommends the use of filezilla to manage a wordpress site and using filezilla to upgrade to wordpress 2.5 or 2.5.1 may be a good option that you have if you can't automate your upgrade. To upgrade using filezilla, download the filezilla client and read this article: Upgrade WordPress Guide How To Upgrade WordPress. If you are stuck on how to upload and download files using filezilla, read this post.

I was able to upgrade my sites using filezilla.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com